Friday, April 22, 2011

Muscles

I have them.

They're small, but they're there. And I can totally, like, feel them and flex them and even use them a bit.

So pilates is working for me, though not as fast as I'd want it to. I mean, in The Sims 2 all you have to do is tell a person in a good mood to run on a treadmill for 2 hours and they just do it, and when they get off their body kinda wiggles a bit and suddenly they're fit. Until you have them eat nothing but birthday cake for 5 days straight. Why can't life be so easy? (though the trade of is that they're fictional and also live about as long as the common housefly I guess)

The garden is currently being watered by a cool spring rain that no weather forecast predicted. The chickens are growing and thriving and feathering out. Plants are growing and showing promise, and most of the pests disappeared from my peach tree after I sprayed it down thoroughly with a mix of water and peppermint castile soap.

And I'm enjoying the gym.

Oh, sure, I have a LOOOONG way to go to reach where I'd like to be. I still have a massive sweet tooth and I can down a whole plate of cookies without remorse. I can also go days without stretching even, and there are times I go to the gym and get ready then spend the whole time sitting in the locker room with my friends talking. I still struggle to touch my toes and getting my palms to the floor seems dang near impossible. I fall over a lot in yoga, I flop on the mat in pilates, and I can't do a proper push up to save my life.

But I'm improving. Little by little.

I'm tripping over my own feet less and enjoying the exercises more and every now and then, not every time, but really every now and then I do find myself being able to do something I couldn't do a month previous.

I'm starting to look a bit better in zumba, just discovering how to hold my body and position my legs and especially knees. I'm breathing better in class, and thus breathing better outside of class. My posture isn't perfect still, but I notice it more. I think I'm even sleeping better and waking up more refreshed.

This diet and exercise thing? It can work.

Sure, no actual real weight loss yet, but a bit of flab loss and definitely some strength gain.

And the best part of it?

The kids are enjoying it.

Oh, sure, in many ways our fitness goals are for ourselves.

But there's just something about having a baby beg to take bites of my steel cut oats every morning or watching my 5 year old ask for seconds on salad or greedily serve himself a heap of kale. There's something about beginning and/or ending our days with a walk around the block, or a walk to the park, or a walk to the store, or something, anything, physical. Makes you feel like you're raising them right, you know?

And now it's time for me to get off my butt and put laundry away...

Okay, after my mandatory celebrity gossip :)

No comments: