Monday, April 23, 2012

Heartbeat

Today I am 13 weeks, 1 day. I had my second midwife appointment, which went great. Just me as Nik was home with a handyman and the kids were in their respective classes.

And I heard the heartbeat :)

It took awhile, the babe kept wiggling away as soon as we heard a beat or two. The midwife, Allison, said that tends to happen with boys so that's one point in the "blue" corner :) When we finally got a steady beat it was faint, as the baby was hiding out in the back, but it was clear and fast. In the 150's she said. I've been close to tears all day just thinking about it. It was too faint to really get on my phone, but with the room perfectly quiet we could both hear clearly. Apparently his/her little heart is only about the size of half my pinky nail at the moment, and being hidden way at the back in a tilted uterus behind my own extra "fluff" wasn't conducive to a very strong, loud, can share over the phone kind of heart beat. But it's in there. There's really a living baby in there :)

So we're not really hiding the news anymore. Still trying to determine when to tell P, really wish I could hold out until the end of school but I'll be 20 weeks then (fingers crossed!) and others will know. I don't want him to hear it from someone else... so probably tomorrow night when we're both home. I'm sure we'll get a mix of emotions from it.

As for A, two of his preschool buddies just became big siblings so I can imagine he'll be really excited about this. I'm kind of excited to see how this plays out for him. He's going to be a big brother!

I'm actually having a bit of fun telling people, and I'm surprised by how many people are excited to know. I guess I just don't seem like the pregnant type since I'm apparently blowing people away, haha!

So it's on to telling and planning and just trying to eat well and take care of myself and my family and enjoy this time that I never thought I'd have. Because really, even if someone truly awful happens that won't erase this moment, this time, of happiness and expectation and I shouldn't let it.

Sooo... it's on to the nesting I suppose :)

No comments: